Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal charged with ball-tampering by ICC

Elena Summers
June 17, 2018

The Sri Lanka cricket team refused to take the field on the third day of the second Test in the West Indies on Saturday after the ball-tampering row.

It was on Saturday that Chandimal refused to take the field along with his teammates after the on-field umpires Ian Gould and Aleem Dar charged them to alter the conditions of the ball.

Play eventually got under way around 11:30 a.m. after Sri Lanka team management consulted with Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), and the visitors took the field and continued the match "under protest".

After discussions between officials and the players, match referee Javagal Srinath upheld Gould and Dar's decision, with the five penalty runs taking the Windies to 123 for two in response to the tourists' 253 all out.

Play was set to resume 10.50am local time and Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal led out his team to the middle, but after further discussions with the umpires the Sri Lanka team began walking back to the boundary.

Cricket's governing body, the ICC, tweeted that any disciplinary issues would be addressed at the end of play.

As the West Indies players were waiting on the ground, the Sri Lankan team didn't turn up even as both umpires were waiting.

Devon Smith had earlier struck 61 while Dowrich extended his good form in the series with a sixth Test half-century of 55 as West Indies tried to rally from their overnight 118 for two, following Friday's rain-hit second day.

By tea, the home side had reached 241-5.

It was reported that the umpires were not quite happy with the way Sri Lanka were shining the ball last evening. He was the player shining the ball and he had bandages on, although that is not uncommon in modern cricket.

Australia captain Smith and his deputy Warner were banned for 12 months while opening batsman Bancroft, the player caught on camera applying sandpaper to the ball, was banned for nine months.

Following their admissions of guilt and an investigation, Steve Smith and David Warner were stripped of the captaincy and vice-captaincy respectively and banned from playing worldwide cricket for 12 months.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article