More than 210 injured in Osaka-area natural disaster

Minnie Murray
June 18, 2018

At least three people were killed - a 9-year-old girl and two men in their 80s - and more than 90 other people were hurt after a strong natural disaster rattled the city of Osaka in western Japan on Monday morning, officials said.

Osaka Gas Co. said it suspended gas supply to 108,000 households in Osaka Prefecture following the quake, while more than 170,000 homes in Osaka and neighboring Hyogo Prefecture are suffering a blackout, Kansai Electric Power Co. said. Dozens of flights in and out of Osaka were grounded and train service was suspended across a wide area.

The magnitude 6.1 quake struck the city of Osaka and the surrounding area about 8 a.m. (2300 GMT Sunday).

Japanese disaster authorities say two people have been found without vital signs and 41 others injured by an quake in western Japan.

Japanese disaster authorities say more than 90 people were injured in the strong quake in Osaka on Monday morning.

It set off multiple building fires and toppled walls.

A falling concrete wall knocked down and killed Rina Miyake as she walked at her elementary school in Takatsuki.

The strongest shaking unfolded in an area north of Osaka city, the agency said. It also cracked roads and broke water pipes, leaving homes without water.

The shinkansen bullet train service remains halted due to the quake as at 11.30am local time, while the Hanshin Expressway that connects Osaka to the neighbouring Kyoto and Kobe cities is also closed. A strong natural disaster shook the city of Osaka in western Japan on Monday morning, causing scattered damage including broken glass and partial building collapses. NHK public television aired video showing the collapsed upper half of the high wall, which was painted cheerfully with trees, flowers and blue sky and surrounded the school swimming pool. Municipal authorities have confirmed three deaths in Osaka and a nearby city, a 9-year-old girl and two men in their 80s. The inland quake poses no tsunami risk. Passengers were seen exiting trains on the tracks between stations.

Motochika Goto, 85, was crushed by a bookcase and died in Ibaraki in the Osaka suburbs, according to local police.

Many homes and buildings, including a major hospital, were temporarily without power, though electricity was restored at most places by midafternoon. Some subway services started to resume in the afternoon.

The Osaka quake on Monday followed two tremors over the weekend.

"Large-scale quakes are likely to happen in the next two to three days", he told reporters.

"It was not as bad as the Kobe quake", said Jun Kawanami, a 30-year-old lawyer in Osaka. Elevators in his office building were out of operation.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article