President Donald Trump receives new letter from North Korea

Minnie Murray
August 2, 2018

President Trump publicly thanked North Korean leader Kim Jong Un Thursday for returning the remains of United States soldiers who died in the Korean War; adding he looks forward to meeting the communist ruler in the near future.

President Trump speaks during a meeting with inner-city pastors at the White House on Wednesday. "I am not at all surprised that you took this kind action", Trump said. Also, thank you for your nice letter - l look forward to seeing you soon!,' the president tweeted Thursday morning.

In a statement on Thursday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said that Mr Trump's tweet was referring to a letter that Mr Trump received on 1 August from Mr Kim.

Vice President Mike Pence said that the ceremony for the returned remains of 55 American soldiers from the Korean War was "deeply moving".

"Some have called the Korean War the forgotten war", Pence said. He was a member of the 7th Infantry Division and one of about 2,500 USA soldiers assigned to the 31st Regimental Combat Team, also known as Task Force MacLean and Task Force Faith.

The U.S. ambassador also expressed skepticism regarding North Korea's dismantling of the Punggye-ri nuclear test site and the missile site at Tongchang-ri.


The Trump Administration has lauded Pyongyang's return of fallen servicemen as a successful outcome of the summit, at which a four-point agreement was reached between the two leaders. And that we'll bring our boys home, ' he said.

The ambassador added a good starting point would be a North Korea list of nuclear facilities.

A report from Axios last month said Trump could dangle a second meeting Kim this September as a reward for taking steps toward denuclearization.

The Washington Post on Tuesday reported that USA intelligence officials suspect that North Korea is continuing to build new missiles in the same research facility that manufactured the country's ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States.

However, Air Force General John Hyten, who commands the US Strategic Command, pointed out that North Korea has not launched any missiles since November.

Trump has sought to show progress from his June 12 summit with Kim.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER