U.S. top diplomat Pompeo's meeting with DPRK officials postponed - USA

Minnie Murray
November 10, 2018

Russian Federation has asked the United Nations Security Council to discuss North Korea sanctions on Thursday, diplomats said, a move that comes after a planned meeting between top US and North Korean officials in NY this week was postponed.

Pompeo will meet with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Yong-chol, in NY on Thursday to continue discussions on the denuclearization of the regime.

The exact reason for the postponement was unclear.

The State Department said the meeting would take place at an unspecified later date, "when our respective schedules permit".

Pyongyang, which has stopped the missile and atomic testing but has so far not taken any steps considered to be irreversible to dismantle its nuclear program, demands of the american counterparts to continue to advance.

At that meeting, Kim, who is seeking relief from tough USA -led sanctions, committed to work toward denuclearization, but his steps since have fallen short of US demands for irreversible moves to abandon a weapons program that potentially threatens the United States.

Pompeo had been due to hold talks with senior DPRK official Kim Yong-chol, which were hoped to have opened the way for a second summit of the two countries' leaders and make progress on denuclearization.

We start with some news just in within the past hour or so.


The State Department had just one day earlier confirmed that Pompeo would meet in NY with Kim Yong Chol - one of the North Korean leader's right-hand men - to discuss progress toward a denuclearization pact and to work to arrange a second summit following historic talks between Trump and Kim in June.

The meeting comes with the two sides at loggerheads almost five months after the summit, in which Trump and Kim pledged to work toward the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

The development comes amid strained ties between South Korea and the U.S. over how to negotiate denuclearisation with North Korea. "We're in no hurry", Trump told reporters at a White House press conference.

At the beginning of July, the american secretary of State was thus returned empty-handed from a visit to North Korea, and the end of August, Donald Trump had cancelled at the last minute another planned trip of the minister to Pyongyang, recognizing for the first time the absence of sufficient progress.

Trump also said he'll meet with Kim "sometime early next year". -North Korea dialogue, sought to play down the talks delay.

The cancellation of the talks comes just a week after North Korea threatened to resume its nuclear weapons programme if the United States failed to lift sanctions against the country.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in's spokesman Kim Eui-keum said the delay did not imply a collapse of the US nuclear negotiations with North Korea or a loss of momentum.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER