Iran FM accuses foreign-backed terrorists of Chabahar attack

Minnie Murray
December 7, 2018

At least three people have been killed following a suicide auto bombing attack near a police post in Iran's southern port city of Chabahar, state television Press TV reported, quoting security and local officials.

"This morning a bomb inside a auto exploded near a police station in Chabahar".

The bomber drove his vehicle, loaded with explosives, up to the police headquarters, provincial official Rahmdel Bameri told state TV. Authorities did not identify who was behind the attack, but Iranian media initially blamed the attack on Ansar al-Furqan, a Sunni jihadi group.

He was referring to the capture, trial and subsequent execution in June 2010 of Abdolmalek Rigi, the leader of militant group Jundallah who had waged a deadly insurgency in Sistan-Balochistan.

Chabahar lies in Sistan-Baluchistan province which has always been a flashpoint, with Pakistan-based Baluchi separatists and Sunni Muslim extremists carrying out cross-border attacks targeting the Shiite authorities.

Footage showed smoke rising over the city. Middle East Eye could not verify the authenticity of the videos.

Chabahar city governor Rahmdel Bameri said earlier that four people were killed and many more wounded when the bomber blew up a vehicle, but later revised the death toll to two.


Chabahar is a free trade zone and the site of an Indian-backed port complex which is being developed as part of a new transportation corridor for land-locked Afghanistan.

"Mark my words: Iran WILL bring terrorists & their masters to justice", the foreign minister emphasized.

Terror attacks in Shiite Iran are rare, but militants have stepped up action in recent months.

Chabahar city is around 100 km from Iran's border with Pakistan.

That attack was claimed by the Sunni separatist group Jundullah (or Soldiers of God), which has claimed responsibility for bombings in the past.

Tehran accuses its Sunni-led regional rival Saudi Arabia and the United States of funding most of these groups, a charge that Riyadh and Washington deny.

Iran Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif condemned the attack and warned "terrorists" that they will be punished.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER