Oscars host Kevin Hart quits after uproar over anti-gay comments

Tanya Cunningham
December 7, 2018

Kevin Hart has been a certified A-list star for several years now, but his latest role, as the host for the 2019 Oscars, has brought homophobic statements and tweets from his past under a new level of scrutiny.

In an Instagram video, Hart, who was tapped to emcee the ceremony earlier this week, says the Academy called him issuing an ultimatum if things were going to proceed as planned, reports Variety.

GLAAD, the advocacy group for LGBTQ rights, had said on Thursday that it reached out to Oscars broadcaster the American Broadcasting Company (ABC), the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences and Mr Hart's management to "discuss Kevin's anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and record".

Kevin Hart has landed in hot water after deleting old anti-gay tweets from his Twitter after being announced as the host of this year's Oscars.

Hart made the announcement on Twitter, apologising to the LGBTQI community for his "insensitive words" in the past.

"Guys, I'm nearly 40 years old", Hart said in the video.

In an accompanying video a shirtless Hart said he wasn't going to "let the craziness frustrate me" and added that he "loves everybody".

This is a breaking story and will be updated. I've moved on, I'm in a completely different space in my life. Hart said he "loves everybody".

Kevin Hart is out as Oscars host.


Following the backlash, Kevin Hart (or his people) was quick to delete these offensive, homophobic remarks from Twitter. I'm the wrong guy, man.

It is unclear who may replace Hart for the annual awards show.

But he can't trouble himself to just say sorry, or realize that those comments were hurtful to people who aren't trolls. "I'm in a great place, a great mature place where all I do is spread positivity", he said.

In other words, Hart has been over those old tweets over and over again, he feels he's said his apologies, explained his younger ignorance and he's grown as a person since then, more accepting.

"I swear, man, our world is becoming beyond insane". I'm going to stand my ground. I will be sure to make this year's Oscars a special one.

He signed off by saying, "Regardless, the Academy, I'm thankful and appreciative of the opportunity".

Hart's response to the tweets was uh... not fantastic.

The Academy did not immediately offer public comment on the situation.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER