Bayern hit back after Loew ditches trio

Elena Summers
March 7, 2019

German coach Joachim Low announced on Tuesday that experience trio Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels and Thomas Müller are no longer in his plans. Together with the DFB we have come a long, intense and mostly successful way over the last years. It was surprising that Joachim Low maintained his position as the national team coach despite their horrific campaign which even saw them lose to South Korea in the final group stage match.

Mueller, Boateng and Hummels were at the core of the side which won the 2014 World Cup, but the trio were off form during poor displays by the entire team in Russian Federation a year ago. I thank Mats, Jerome and Thomas for many successful, extraordinary and unique years together.

"As a matter of principle, we do not comment on the sporting decisions of the national coach as the selection of the national team squad is exclusively the responsibility of Joachim Low", the statement read.

DFB director and national-team coordinator Oliver Bierhoff was also supportive of the move, proclaiming: "We now want to make it clear that this is a new beginning for the squad".

"I said last year that Manuel is number one right now, but this year we have something like a new start and Marc will get his chances too", said Loew before Tuesday's announcement. But Mats, Jerome and I are able to still play football on a top level. "It was important for me to personally explain it to them today".


"The national team's young players will receive the space necessary to develop fully. Now it's up to them to take on responsibility".

"2019 is the year of the new start for the German national football team", he told Bild. A coach must make sporting decisions, no problem, I do not have a problem with that.

With a year to go before the European championships, Loew feels now is the time to remove more of his old guard having already last year dropped Sami Khedira, another 2014 World Cup victor.

"We were surprised that this happened as part of an unannounced visit at (Bayern training complex) Saebener Strasse", said Rummenigge and Salihamidzic.

Writing on Twitter, Boateng said: "I'm sad to hear this news, as it was always the best thing of all for me to represent my country". I was once young myself and depended on older players making room for me. "But I would have obviously wished for a different departure".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER