Nigeria calls off search at collapsed school

Minnie Murray
March 15, 2019

"Something similar happened around here a year ago". They said the caretaker was already on their neck to pay for their new rent but they refused because they knew that the house had been marked by officials of Lagos State government for demolition. "The pain is too much".

One local resident who witnessed the moment of collapse said there was no warning.

A crowd of thousands of people cheered on Wednesday as dust-covered, shocked-looking children were pulled from the rubble.

A woman reacts at the site of a collapsed building containing a school in Nigeria's commercial capital of Lagos, Nigeria March 13, 2019.

Lagos state governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, says the school that collapsed in the Ilafaji area of the state yesterday March 13th, was operating illegally.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency were still carrying out rescue and recovery operations at the site of the tragedy. He agreed, some metres away from the scene.

He added that in the next phase, 38 other defective structures had been earmarked for demolition, as government would not tolerate cases of collapsed buildings in any part of the State. It is unfortunate that this happened.

The number of deaths is still unconfirmed, but rescue efforts are on-going at the mixed-use building.


Responding to a concern raised by a resident on the increase in illegal schools in the area, Governor Ambode said all schools that fall within that category would be closed down.

The three-story building is located in the crowded Lagos Island area of the coastal megacity, which is home to more than 22 million people. I commiserate with the families of those children who lost their precious lives. "May God grant everyone affected by this sad incident fortitude and succour", a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, quoted Buhari as saying.

Reports indicated that the building which had shownsigns of defect, for years, had been marked for demolition, three times, by the Lagos State Government.

Officials said late Wednesday that eight people had died and 37 had been pulled out alive. "My prayers are with the affected families and the school management".

More equipment was brought in as nightfall approached.

Rescue workers and emergency teams rush to the scene. The response: flying scarves and wrappers from spectators.

The rescued students are now receiving medical attention. One man pressed his hands to a passing survivor's head in blessing. His son, Erinoluwa Akinmoladun, told rescuers he had alerted his father earlier that morning about how weak the building was and its possibility of collapsing soon.

The party called on relevant regulatory authorities across the country to do all necessary to prevent a reoccurrence of such incident.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER